While most of us tend to discard the lemon peel by squeezing out the portion of juice, there are several benefits of lemon peel that you should know about.
Lemon –known by the biological name as “Citrus Limon,” is one of the most common citrus fruits amongst other citrus fruits including oranges, grapefruits, and limes. While the juice and pulp of the fruit are highly valued, its peel also tends to have vital importance. Various studies have revealed the importance of lemon peel as it is filled with healthy bioactive compounds providing a host of potential health benefits.
If you are fond of lemon, then here are some of the top benefits of lemon peel you should know about:
- High in Nutrition: Even if you consume them in smaller portions, the lemon peels are known to be full of nutrition. It is assumed that a single tablespoon of lemon peel is known to contain:
- 3 units of calories
- 1 gram of carbs
- 1 gram of fiber
- 0 grams of proteins
- 0 grams of fats
- 9 percent of the DV (Daily Value) Vitamin C
- Supports Oral Health: Lemon peel is known to contain antibacterial compounds that prevent the growth of microorganisms in the mouth. Most of the oral complications and teeth problems are associated with the presence of bacteria, namely Streptococcus mutans. A study revealed that there are as many as four unique compounds in lemon peels having powerful antibacterial properties that can help in fighting the bacteria that cause oral problems.
- Rich in Antioxidants: Antioxidants are plant-based compounds that are known to prevent cellular damage by fighting off the free radicals present in the body. Lemon peel is particularly rich in antioxidants –including Vitamin C and D-limonene. D-limonene has been associated with reducing the risks of type-2 diabetes and heart diseases. Moreover, Vitamin C also helps in improving the overall immune health of the body.
- Possesses Anti-cancer Properties: Lemon peel might have anti-cancer properties. D-limonene can help in fighting stomach cancer, while Vitamin C is also known to feature anti-cancer properties by boosting the growth of WBCs (White Blood Cells) in the body.
- Boosts the Immune System: Lemon peel can help in boosting the overall immune system of the body as it contains Vitamin C and flavonoid. A recent study reveals that consuming around 1-2 grams of Vitamin C on a daily basis can reduce the chances of catching common colds and flu.