When it comes to ensuring top-notch health, the importance of antioxidants is considered vital. When you have ample antioxidant-rich food items in your daily diet, you can remain convinced of immense nutrition and good health throughout. This is because antioxidants help in protecting your body from the free radicals that are known for giving way to chronic diseases like heart diseases and cancers.
Sweet Potatoes –Storehouse of Antioxidants
When it comes to eating a diet rich in antioxidants, there is no beating the role of sweet potatoes. This root-based vegetable is filled with antioxidants delivering tons of nutritional as well as health benefits. This is the reason you can consider adding sweet potatoes to your daily diet. When different forms of sweet potatoes including white, purple, and orange potatoes are cooked the right way, they can help in promoting good health throughout.
Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
Here are some of the additional health benefits of consuming sweet potatoes that you should know about:
- Fights Cancer: Sweet potatoes have the capability to fight cancer effectively. As they offer different antioxidants including anthocyanins, they help in providing protection against specific cancer types. Anthocyanins are found abundant in purple sweet potatoes.
- Promotes Healthy Vision: Sweet potatoes are known to be rich sources of beta-carotene. It is a plant-based compound that is converted to vitamin A by the body. Vitamin A is responsible for creating the light-detecting receptors within the eyes.
- Improves Brain Function: The presence of anthocyanins in purple sweet potatoes can help in protecting the brain through a reduction in inflammation as well as prevention of free radical damage –as observed in the animal specimen. The presence of anthocyanins has also been linked to improvement in memory as well as learning capabilities in mice.
- Immensely Nutritious: You get tons of nutritional benefits when consuming sweet potatoes. Some of the essential nutrients include fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Niacin, and so more.
- Promotes Digestive Health: The presence of two types of fiber including soluble as well as insoluble in sweet potatoes works together towards promoting improved digestion.
Once you are aware of the immense health benefits of sweet potatoes, you can include the same in your daily diet.