Studies performed on mice samples by scientists have revealed the positive effect of pomegranate juice in reducing the growth of cancer cells. Let us help you understand whether or not pomegranate juice can help in keeping cancer away.
While you might regard a glass full of something green as healthy, there are other fruit and juices which are incredibly healthy – like pomegranate juice. Pomegranates are regarded as one of the healthiest fruits in the world! These fruits are known to contain a wide range of plant-based beneficial compounds unparalleled by other foods in the market. Several studies have revealed consuming pomegranates can lead to a myriad of health benefits while lowering the risks of developing various deadly diseases – even cancer.
Top Benefits of Having Pomegranates
If you love having pomegranates or pomegranate juice, you are in store for a wide range of potential health benefits. Some of those important points are:
- A Host of Vital Nutrients: The pomegranate – going with the biological name as “Punica granatum,” is a special type of shrub that produces a rich red fruit. The pomegranate fruit is categorized as a type of berry. The seeds along with the arils (sweet covering of the pomegranate seeds) are edible parts of this delicious fruit. The fruit can be either eaten as raw or consumed as the delicious pomegranate juice. However, the peel of the fruit is discarded as it tastes terrible.
As far as the overall nutritional benefits of having pomegranates are concerned, the fruit is known to be rich in a host of vital nutrients. A leading report reveals that a single cup of aril (around 174 grams) is known to contain:
- 7 grams of fiber
- 3 grams of protein
- 30 percent Vitamin C
- 36 percent Vitamin K
- 16 percent folate
- 12 percent potassium
The arils of this fruit are extremely sweet. One cup of arils is known to contain around 144 calories and 24 grams of natural sugar. Pomegranates are famous for reflecting the wealth of plant-based compounds offering a wide range of potential medical benefits.
- Host to Two Major Plant-based Compounds: Pomegranates are known to feature two major plant-based compounds that are responsible for presenting a myriad of potential health benefits.
- Punicalagins: These are highly beneficial antioxidants that are found in both the peel as well as the juice of the tasty fruit. These naturally-occurring compounds are so beneficial owing to the fact that they are three times the overall antioxidant activity in comparison to green tea and red wine. Pomegranate extracts, as well as powders, are usually prepared out of the pomegranate peels. This is because pomegranate peels are rich in punicalagin and antioxidant content.
- Punicic Acid: Punicic Acid is usually found in the seed oil of the pomegranate. It is the main type of fatty acid found in the arils of the fruit. Punicic acid is a form of conjugated linoleic acid having significant biological effects.
- Presence of Anti-inflammatory Properties: Chronic inflammation has been associated with a myriad of serious diseases, including cancer. The other serious diseases are type-2 diabetes, heart-related diseases, Alzheimer’s, and obesity-related complications. Pomegranates are known to feature amazing anti-inflammatory properties – significantly promoted by the antioxidant properties of the naturally-occurring compound ‘punicalagin’ in pomegranates.
Studies conducted in test-tube samples have revealed that the presence of punicalagin can help in reducing the inflammatory activity in the digestive system of the body. At the same time, it has also been linked with reducing the risks of developing colon cancer and breast cancer in the long run. A study lasting for 12 weeks in people having diabetes revealed that consuming just 250 ml (1.1 cups) of pomegranate juice daily can help in lowering the CRP (inflammatory markers) by 32 percent and interleukin-6 by around 30 percent. In case you wish to reduce the overall inflammation in your body, pomegranates can be regarded as an excellent addition to your diet daily.
- Fighting Prostate Cancer: Prostate cancer is the most common type of cancer in men. Lab-based studies have revealed that pomegranate extracts can help in lowering the reproduction of cancer cells while even inducing apoptosis (cell death) in cancer cells or tumors. The PSA (Prostate-specific Antigen) is a vital blood marker for prostate cancer. Men having doubled levels of PSA within a short span of time tend to be at an increased risk of death due to prostate cancer.
A human-based study revealed that when you tend to drink at least 8 ounces or 237ml of pomegranate juice daily, it helped in increasing the PSA doubling time significantly from 15 months to around 54 months – a major increase. Another follow-up study revealed similar improvements with the help of a specific type of pomegranate extract referred to as POMx.
- Fighting Breast Cancer: Breast cancer is one of the most common types of cancers in women. In a study, it was found that pomegranate extracts can help in inhibiting the reproduction of breast cancer cells – while advancing to kill the breast cancer cells at the same time. While the presence of scientific evidence is slightly limited, more research might be required in this aspect before making claims.
- Lowering the Risk of Developing Heart-related Diseases: Premature deaths all around the world are associated with heart-related diseases or complications. Punicic Acid – the primary fatty acid found in pomegranates, can help in protecting against several stages of developing any major heart-related disease or complication.
A study conducted for 4 weeks in a group of 51 people having higher levels of triglyceride revealed that consuming around 800mg of pomegranate seed oil daily significantly helped in lowering triglycerides while improving the overall ratio of triglyceride-HDL. Another study aimed at looking into the effects of consuming pomegranate juice by people having type-2 diabetes as well as high cholesterol. It was found to be significantly helpful in reducing bad LDL cholesterol while determining other major benefits.
Understand the health benefits of pomegranate juice for your body –especially when it comes to keeping cancer away. These types of food can give us all hope!